Wikipedia makes money mainly through donations, grants and merchandise sales. The Wikimedia Foundation also runs advertising campaigns to raise funds.
Wikipedia is primarily funded by donations from individuals, foundations and corporations. The Wikimedia Foundation, which runs Wikipedia, is a non-profit organization and relies on donations to stay afloat. Donations are used to cover the costs of running the website, maintaining servers and paying staff. Donors can also choose which project they want their money to support, such as Wikipedia or its sister projects.
The Wikimedia Foundation also applies for grants from organizations, such as the Sloan Foundation, to support its work. These grants can be used for specific projects, such as creating educational materials, or for general operating costs.
The Wikimedia Foundation also sells merchandise, such as t-shirts, mugs and pins. These items can be purchased on the Wikimedia Foundation website and proceeds go to support the foundation’s work.
The Wikimedia Foundation also runs advertising campaigns to raise funds. These campaigns usually feature celebrities or popular figures and encourage people to donate to Wikipedia.
- Who funds Wikipedia?
- What is the Wikimedia Foundation?
- How do I donate to Wikipedia?
- How does the Wikimedia Foundation use donations?
- What merchandise does the Wikimedia Foundation sell?
- Where can I buy Wikimedia Foundation merchandise?
- What grants does the Wikimedia Foundation have?
- What are some of the Wikimedia Foundation’s advertising campaigns?
- How do I support the Wikimedia Foundation?
- How does the Wikimedia Foundation use advertising to raise funds?